Blood Orange, Kiwi & Mint Margaritas. Because You Deserve It.
Forget mixes, this margarita recipe uses fresh lime and the tropical flavors of blood orange and kiwi to bring an island flair to your next cocktail hour.
Like a cat, I’ve lived nine lives. Before becoming a dietitian, I spent years in the restaurant and food industry and one of my jobs was mixing cocktails at a beachside hotel in Southern California. From martinis to mules, we made every cocktail imaginable and we did them all from scratch. From making our own ginger beer to cracking and separating egg whites for sours, I learned the ins and outs of mixology and the fine art of bullshitting with guests. I firmly believe everyone should be required to spend one year in the restaurant industry because you come out on the other end with a respect for the food, the business, and gain a strong sense of knowing when to bite your tongue when you want to chew someone out. It’s a skill I employ every day.
While my libation of choice is usually wine, I enjoy a well-made cocktail from time to time–with margaritas being one of my favorites. But I must admit to being a margarita snob because in my opinion there is no mix in the world that will top one made from fresh lime juice. The key to a perfect margarita is to balance the tartness of fresh lime and tequila with a splash of orange juice and triple sec. The margarita recipe is the foundation, and the addition of fresh fruit flavors means it can be customized to any season.
If this recipe looks familiar, it’s because it is very similar to a recently featured fruit salad. Lazy blogging? Maybe. Delicious? Yes. No regrets.
Blood Orange, Kiwi & Mint Margaritas
Forget mixes, this margarita recipe uses fresh lime the the tropical flavors of blood orange and kiwi to bring an island flair to your next cocktail hour.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2 cocktails
- Category: Desserts & Drinks
- 4-5 mint leaves
- kosher salt
- 1 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz blood orange juice
- 1 small scoop ice
- 1 slice orange, 1-2 slices kiwi, 1 slice lime
- Optional: 1-2 tsp agave, if you like sweeter margaritas
- Muddle mint and pinch of salt to a cocktail mixer.
- Add tequila, triple sec, lime juice, orange juice and ice. Cover cocktail mixer and shake well (about 10 seconds).
- To easily rim glass with salt and lime, add small amount of lime juice on a small plate and small amount of salt on another plate. Place rim of glass facedown on lime juice plate and then on salt plate.
- Pour contents of mixer into glass. Garnish with fruit and enjoy!