Vegan Roasted Corn Potato Soup, a vegan take on classic creamy corn chowder. Made with seasonal white corn, summer potatoes, and topped with spicy chili oil. You say “soup in summer?” and I say “heck yes!”
So you’re wondering why I’m posting a soup recipe in the dead of summer. I get it, it’s hot. It’s humid. You can’t imagine a warm meal right now.
But let me remind you that it’s peak produce season and the cream of the crop, literally, is corn. Fresh white corn cut from the cob, roasted in a cast iron skillet and then blended into a soup with a few summer potatoes.
And topped with chili oil, you CANNOT forget the chili oil.
When I moved to California from Missouri it was like I completely forgot what summer feels like in the rest of the country. While California is warm year round, it’s rarely ever hot and the nights are always cool. So I don’t bat an eye at turning on the oven in the middle of July or August to roast summer vegetables or bake potatoes.
But now that I have “le blog” I try to be mindful of what the rest of the country (or half of the world!) is experiencing. Yes, I may be wearing a sweatshirt in August but I’ll try not to post my roasted potatoes or baked fish…until September.
But when it comes to this Vegan Roasted Corn + Potato Soup recipe, I could not wait. Not when it’s peak produce season and fresh, seasonal corn is flooding the markets. No, this one you must make. You can call it your “summer soup.”
I must admit I’m not much of a fan for chowders or cream-based soups, which means I don’t order many corn soups when they’re on the menu. Rarely do you see a corn soup that doesn’t include dairy so I was inspired to create the thick creaminess of a chowder but with only plant-based ingredients. The addition of potatoes adds the perfect texture and thickness to an otherwise thin liquid and takes this soups from good to great.
But the real star of this Vegan Roasted Corn Potato Soup is this homemade chili oil.
I’ve been playing with infused oils for a few months now and am perfecting my recipe (will share when ready!), but in the meantime I wanted to create a spicy oil from fresh chilis to top this thick cream soup.
I had a few fresh Thai chilis on hand and ground them in my with my mortar and pestle (finally used it after buying in a Bangkok market years ago!) and mixed the spicy chilis with a quality olive oil. It was the perfect addition to the soup and gave it a nice spicy kick.
Vegan Roasted Corn Potato Soup: Tips, Tricks & Tools
This Vegan Roasted Corn Potato Soup recipe is very simple to make and does not require special kitchen tools, however there are a few kitchen essentials I recommend:
- Cast Iron Skillet: I was a late adopter of cast iron skillet cooking, even though I had heard the praises from chefs for years. However, now that I use a cast iron skillet almost daily I will never go back. No other pan gives food the nice browning that a cast iron skillet provides and the flavor from corn cut from the cob and roasted in a cast iron skillet is no different. I used a large Lodge skillet but if you’re looking for more variety I recommend this Simple Chef set.
- Large Soup Pot: I recently broke down and pot myself a large soup pot and I’m so glad I did – my usual Lodge pot is great but it was time to upgrade to a larger size. The wonderful thing about soups is that they are always better the next day when they’ve had time to sit and are great frozen and eaten days or even weeks later, so making a large patch will save you time and mean a more delicious soup in the future.
- Don’t want to make your own chili oil? No worries! Try this Mantova oil or this Monini oil.
Vegan Corn + Potato Soup, a vegan take on classic creamy corn chowder. Made with seasonal white corn, potatoes, and topped with spicy chili oil. Delicious!
Vegan Roasted Corn + Potato Soup
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6-8 ears of corn (or 1 1lb bag frozen corn)
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 Thai chilies
- 1/8 cup olive oil
Vegan Roasted Corn + Potato Soup
- If using fresh corn, wash and shuck ears and cut corn from cob. Heat oil over medium heat in cast iron skillet or large pan and add corn.
- In the meantime, slice potatoes, onion and garlic and add to skillet with corn. Cook until corn browns and begins to soften.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to large soup pot and add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about twenty minutes. Add salt and pepper and other spices as desired to taste.
- Remove soup from heat and blend until smooth with immersion blender. Add additional spices, if needed, and top with chili oil (see below) before serving.
- Muddle chilis in bowl or mortar until smashed and oils are released.
- Add olive oil and either stir or blend in food processor to incorporate chilis.
- Drizzle over soups or other dishes.
The soup may need more or less vegetable broth, depending on your personal consistency preference. If you prefer a thicker soup then add only 3/4 of broth and add more if needed to desired consistency.
Soup can be refrigerated for up to 4-5 days and frozen for weeks or even months.
Chili oil should be stored in an airtight jar in a cool, dry place and can be kept for up to a month (if oil turns cloudy or has an odd color/smell, then discard).
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 467
Like this Vegan Roasted Corn Potato Soup Recipe?
Try one of my other favorite soup recipes:
- Favorite Roasted Tomato & Leek Soup
- Thai Basil, Lemongrass & Forbidden Rice Soup
- Pumpkin, Butternut Squash & Sage Soup